Friday, September 13, 2013

Rebecca Romney - Don't Love Me because I'm beautiful, love me for my mind!



     Earlier this year Rebecca Romney, of History Channel & Pawnstars fame, made a post on her Facebook page (August 12, 2013) warning that she was no longer going to allow comments about her appearance.  If you make a comment about how she looks your comment will be deleted and you will be blocked.  This would normally make sense coming from an individual who was getting a disproportionate amount of disparaging remarks.  That is not the case here!  In fact, it is quite the opposite thing she has issue with.  She is personally offended by the comments about how attractive someone thinks she is.  She feels that this both detracts from her intellect and lends to the idea that she is the rare book expert on Pawnstars based on her appearance and not her vast knowledge of rare books.

Rebecca Romney said:
It's time to address a growing problem here on my Facebook page.

Everyone, I know that when you write comments about my appearance, you are meaning to be complimentary. But I find these comments irritating non-sequiturs at best, and incredibly disheartening at worst. 

I appear on Pawn Stars because of my expertise as a rare book dealer, not because of my appearance. They wanted Bauman Rare Books to help with the show, and I happened to be the manager of the Las Vegas location. Responding to my appraisals on the show or my posts here about books with comments about my appearance feels belittling: I am trying to educate and entertain with intellectual stories, only to receive comments about my appearance in response. As if, for a woman, only the appearance and not the intellect matters.

I've hesitated to crack down on these comments because, again, I realize most of you really are just trying to be nice and you mean well. But I have noticed that a number of people who used to comment along with the intellectual discussion no longer do so--and some have messaged me to let me know it is because they don't want to continue engaging with the crowds who think that appearance is the most important issue to discuss.

I want this to be a community of history lovers, book lovers, anyone who wants a fun fact or historical tidbit. But I personally find it very difficult to keep up this discussion when I am constantly faced with evidence that to some, nothing I say matters, only how I look.

So, fair warning. From this point on I'm going to delete any comments that focus on my appearance, and will likely ban persistent offenders. I have no issue with any of you individually. But I am sick of hearing stories about book lovers who visit this site interested in talking about books, only to get creeped out by the comments, never to return. Please be respectful to me and the other bibliophiles here.

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate it.

     There are two major issues I have with what she did and her attitude overall.  The first issue is that she is totally fooling herself if she thinks appearance is not a factor.  I believe that, whether she was aware of it or not, production people had scouted that location and were aware of her position and her appearance. It would be very ignorant to assume a TV show is going to choose a shop for an on air expert without any scouting.  Ask any woman who works in the industry and they will tell you that appearance matters, be it good, bad or anywhere in between.  Everyone of the experts on that show has a distinctive look and she is no different.  The other issue is with her point that compliments on her appearance detract from her intellectual standing.  To say that a woman can not be appreciated for both her beauty as well as her intellect is completely foolish!  On the show she is always dressed nice, but very covered up and professional.  When people comment on her beauty it is based on her body silhouette and her face, hair and make-up.  I would argue that without her intellect, her looks wouldn't garner so much attention, if any at all. I find her attractive based on the complete package that the show portrays.  Being a TV personality in any capacity opens the door for public opinion and commenting on just about anything they can dig up about you.  If you are getting  positive attention, I say you should be humble and thankful and just go with it!

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca,
    I actually think you are being naive here and not giving your fans enough credit. Sure, we appreciate good looks, but when a good looking woman is also intelligent and especially when she is an expert in her field, it just enhances how attractive she is, at least to those of us who appreciate intelligence. I honestly do not believe you were chosen for Pawn Stars because of your looks. You clearly know your stuff and that is why you were chosen. I am a big fan and clearly Rick loves you but give us guys some credit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I replied to Rebecca thinking it was her blog but it is actually replying to you, my mistake. You are completely right. It IS the whole package. You might notice her in the street but knowing her expertise certainly helps her attraction to us. She is gorgeous when she speaks about a subject so authoritatively, and just makes her more interesting

    ReplyDelete